A short history of progress (Ronald Wright)

Książka dotycząca podobnego tematu co opisane wcześniej przeze mnie Grand transitions, tzn. oferująca spojrzenie ze sporego dystansu na rozwój cywilizacji. Natomiast podejście autorów jest inne. W “Grand transitions” Smil unika proponowania modeli/podsumowań, operując głównie na poziomie danych i podkreślając istniejące różnice. W “A short history …” Wright przyjął bardziej upraszczające podejście - szuka podobieństw pomiędzy historiami wzrostu i upadku różnych cywilizacji. Omawiana książka jest też krótsza i dużo łatwiejsza w czytaniu (może właśnie ze względu na to, że nie jest to litania statystyk, tylko bardziej narracja). Ostatecznie Smil jest chyba trochę bardziej optymistyczny jeśli chodzi o przyszłość, natomiast obaj autorzy wskazują na zagrożenia dla dalszego rozwoju i jego ograniczenia. Książka Wrighta jest też trochę przestarzała miejscami (jest z 2004 roku).

Trochę notatek, które zrobiłem czytając:

• rise of civilisations is not exceptional/unique (happened independently multiple times)
  • they follow a familiar schema: good environmental conditions produce surplus; population grows and so do inequalities (hierarchies); when growth damages the environment the decision-makers fail to remedy the problem (e.g. by self-restraint), but double-down on what they were doing so far; with hunger comes social unrest which may lead to a total collapse or a “reset” and decentralisation (e.g. Roman empire)
  • important factors influence the schema: the nature of the natural resources being used (floodplains of mezopotamia are more prone to salination than ones of Egypt); ruled area and diversity (Greeks and Romans could import grains); technology (terraces for agriculture and protection of hills from erosion)
  • some stuff is out-dated (it was established since the publication that the Neanderthals did cross-breed with humans)
  • the stuff about eastern-island seems not consistent with the “fall of civilisation” podcast episode about that

i na koniec cytat dotyczący tego jak Wright widzi naszą obecną (2004 rok) sytuację:

We in the lucky countries of the West now regard our two-century bubble of freedom and affluence as normal and inevitable; it has even been called the “end” of history, in both a temporal and teleological sense. Yet this new order is an anomaly: the opposite of what usually happens as civilizations grow. Our age was bankrolled by the seizing of half a planet, extended by taking over most of the remaining half, and has been sustained by spending down new forms of natural capital, especially fossil fuels. In the New World, the West hit the biggest bonanza of all time. And there won’t be another like it — not unless we find the civilized Martians of H. G. Wells, complete with the vulnerability to our germs that undid them in his War of the Worlds.

2 polubienia